Wednesday, December 15, 2010

HOMEMADE SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK

One of my first Christmas memories is of my dad making fudge. He did it every year, and we had fresh pecans in it from our trees in the yard. So, it's only natural that I also celebrate Christmas by making sweet treats to share. Just writing this blog post makes me want to run to the kitchen and make a batch of fudge.


However, this post is not about fudge. It’s about Sweetened Condensed Milk. It’s kind of pricey, and sometimes a recipe calls for it, and we don’t have any on hand. That’s when this recipe comes in handy. It's easy and inexpensive. Merry Christmas!

SWEETENED CONDENSED MILK

1 C. instant non-fat dry milk powder

¾ C. sugar

1/3 C. hot water

3 TBSP melted butter or margarine

Dissolve the sugar in the water and let cool. (I’ve found that the water cools off too soon, making it difficult for the sugar to dissolve properly. If this happened, put it in the microwave for several seconds until the sugar dissolves. I do this in a glass measuring cup. Add the powdered milk, the sugar mixture, and the melted butter to a blender and blend to liquefy. Approximately 20 seconds.

No comments: