Tuesday, August 16, 2011

THE WEATHER IS FINE. NOT.

Good Grief!!! Did you know it was hot in Arizona? I mean, I knew it was hot, but still ... It's a different kind of hot when you're outside standing in it instead of sitting in the livingroom writing. I started a new job as an Instructional Assistant (teacher's aide) last week. I get to be a crossing guard from 7am to 7:45. I must say that I was a little nervous about that since I'd never done it before, but come to find out ... Everyone loves the crossing guard!!! So, even though I'm standing outside, the weather's not too bad that early in the morning, and everyone is friendly.

Morning recess in 45 minutes (for me). The grades come out at different times so that the older kids don't pick on the younger ones. Good idea. It's hotter at 10am, for sure, but not as hot as noon. That's right. Noon. Each grade is only at lunch recess for about 20 minutes, but me and a couple of other aides are outside the full hour and fifteen minutes of lunch recess. They're out there playing tag football, basketball, jumping rope, and chasing around the playground like it's only 80 degrees outside. I'm standing in the shade getting hotter and hotter, and hotter.

It will be an exciting year (if I live through the heat) and I am excited to work with the kids and to get to know them. When I get to be inside, I help three different teachers, 1st grade, 3rd grade, and 6th grade. Ya just gotta love elementary school!

No comments: