Tuesday, March 10, 2009

This week is spring break for half of Arizona. Why the other half doesn't join in so that my grandson could have the same week off, I do not know. No one ever asks my opinion on these matters. One thing I do know is that tomorrow I am going to spend the day with my husband and my two teenagers. We are meeting my sister and her youngest at Roosevelt Dam and then going on to a picnic area near the lake. Route 88, the road between Apache Junction and Roosevelt Lake, is an area that long-time residents of Arizona, like myself, are probably not completely aware of. I must confess that the first time I drove the road I was a bit nervous. Twenty-two miles of it are unpaved. There's a handfull of one-lane bridges, and several areas of one-lane, and switch-back road. However, there are numerous rewards for braving this remote area if you enjoy the unspoiled natural beauty of the Sonoran Desert set against a backdrop of amazing cliffs, vistas, and man-made lakes. Coming from Globe and going toward Apache Junction, the driver gets to end the drive by enjoying a seldom seen view of Weaver's Needle and the Superstition Mountain.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I went on that road when I was down doing research for The Mist of Quarry Harbor. Isn't it the back way to the cliff dweillings at...can't remember. Anyway, it was a spectacular drive and I enjoyed it hugely.