Monday, April 6, 2009

Easter is soon upon us. It's one of my favorite holidays, what with the colored eggs, and tons of candy--for a kid, it's only second to Halloween in candy consumption, I'm sure. Having grown up in Mesa only blocks from the LDS Temple, I have fond memories of waking on crisp, Easter mornings and walking, clad in a blanket, to the temple grounds for Easter Sunrise Services. Now, of course it's the Easter Pageant, and, although I've seen it almost every year since its conception, I never tire of our Savior's life story. My greatest pleasures was being in the pageant as part of the multitude in 2000 and 2001, and getting to pretend I was there during His life as one of his loving followers, and bearing my testimony through song to the crowd.

For Easter dinner, it's customary to serve ham and scalloped potatoes. My family's favorite type of scalloped potato is Funeral Potatoes (as we lovingly call them) or Potatoes Supreme. I thought I'd include my version of the recipe here in case there are others who might enjoy it. If you compare my recipe to another, you might notice that I've taken out all of the butter. A calorie saver for sure--and it's never been missed flavor-wise. Happy Easter!

Potatoes Supreme
1-2 bags of frozen hash brown potatoes (little square bits w/ no peppers)
1/3 C. dehydrated onions
2 C. cheddar cheese, shredded
1 C. sour cream
2 cans cream of chicken soup
Cook potatoes in water until soft. Drain off water. Mix in soup, sour cream, onions, and 1 C. of cheese. Stir. Pour into 9x13-inch pan. Sprinkle on remaining cheese. Bake approximately 20 minutes at 350.

No comments: