Saturday, September 4, 2010

Fruited Spinach Salad

Lest you think that all I eat is spinach in one form or another, I’ll tell you right now that is absolutely not true. I’ve had this recipe for ages, and the other day I was perusing my recipe book and came across it. It is similar to the spinach salad that I’ve already posted, and yet so different.


Also, my advice is that if you’re tired of only spinach in the salad, this recipe is also good with a mixture of lettuces such as red leaf lettuce.

Although I seldom use it, I have a case of raspberry jam in the pantry, and this was my incentive to try this recipe. However, mine is full of seeds so I took the trouble to warm the jam and strain the seeds out. (I know, I know. I need to get over it and get a life.)

Fruited Spinach Salad

1 (11oz) can of mandarin oranges

¼ C olive or vegetable oil (I used canola)3 TBSP raspberry jam or spreadable fruit

1 TBSP red wine vinegar

1 (10 oz) pkg fresh spinach, torn

1 red apple, chopped

1 C chopped pecans, toasted.

Drain oranges, reserving ½ C juice. In a jar with tight-fitting lid, combine oil, jam, vinegar and reserved juice; shake well. In a large salad bowl, toss oranges, spinach, apple and pecans. Serve with the dressing. (Yield 6-8 servings)

Also, if you try this salad and like it (or even if you don’t) I’d love to hear about it.

**Stay tuned next week for a yummy jello salad that my family made me promise to serve on Thanksgiving day.**

No comments: